Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2024 10:02:49 GMT by Laurastudent
Hello, I have read through all the pages at gov.uk but am still very unclear on the practical part of importing goods. I am a EU student moving to the UK for full-time study and can prove this with an offer letter and am therefore excerpt from duty payments with C06. My parents plan on bringing over my belongings in a rented vehicle. 1) Which customs channel do they need to go through? 2) can they make an oral declaration even though the goods are greater than the normal personal amount because of the duty relief? 3) if not, how do I as a private person make a customs declaration online? Thank you in advance.
Posted Tue, 03 Sep 2024 12:18:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

You can declare most personal goods by making a declaration by conduct or an oral declaration. These methods of declaring your goods are simpler than other methods, but they are still defined as legal declarations.

You can see guidance below for more information on how to declare personal goods:

Check how to declare personal goods you bring into or take out of the UK

If you arrived for the purposes of marriage or study, or have approval to use transfer of residence relief, for example, a unique reference number, evidence of this should be provided to the customs officer if you are asked.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.