Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2024 11:52:52 GMT by David Carr
Hi, I have just purchased an camera from Italy via eBay. The cost of the camera was €475 and shipping was €19. However the shipper has stated the actual value was €1240 As such I have been charged almost £230 in VAT on an item I paid £445 for. Is there a way to claim part of these import costs back by proving what I actually paid for the item? Also is declaring the price of an item to be far more than it's actually worth illegal? Thanks.
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2024 16:31:38 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi David Carr Firstly I would go back to whoever the shipper/ customs agent who declared the higher value and ask why they used that amount. Was this the amount the seller notified when the shipment was booked ? Most couriers will use the value supplied on the accompanying invoice, so the information provided by the seller may have been incorrect. If you believe the goods have been declared with the wrong value you can submit a claim on a C285( or BOR286 if shipped via post). It is a requirement to declare a correct customs value for import based on the legislation on customs valuation.
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2024 10:05:49 GMT by David Carr
Thanks for the reply. The shipper was UPS on the invoice they supplied they just stated Item Value - €1240 The item is an camera that is new old stock that's no longer in production, but even when it was in production and on sale only last year it retailed for £599 so I'm unsure where he's getting the item value from. The invoice then goes on to list what charges are applied and how much basically Import VAT and Brokerage charges as specified above. I got in touch with UPS to see if it was insurance as I thought he maybe declared an €600 item price and the same in insurance which I believe is also taxable? So maybe that was on the item value? They are sending the other documentation but they said no insurance just an item value of €1240. I have the eBay final invoice and my payment receipt to show what In paid for it. I guess I will wait and see what the other documentation says.
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2024 14:54:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

Please contact our imports and exports team for advice.

Imports and exports: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2024 17:28:45 GMT by David Carr
Thanks, those forms are now filled in. It seems the guy had imported the camera himself back in September 2023 from Singapore to Italy at a cost of ,€1240, and when attaching the invoice for the product to send to me he used that instead of the actual bill of sale from eBay. His invoice is from an Alibaba store to himself, not from himself to me. So seems a simple case of wrong documentation, hopefully it will be partially reimbursed. Thanks again for the help.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.