Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 10 Sep 2023 22:06:30 GMT by
Hi, I am only staying in the UK for a few months but was thinking about asking my family to send me camping equipment I’ve left behind in Norway by package. I’m trying to determine if it would be worth it considering the cost of shipping + charges. It’s all used camping equipment but was quite expensive originally, so I’m not sure how to determine the cost either. It’s a tent, sleeping bag, mattress and cooker. New it would have been about 600 pounds altogether. I used an online calculator and it says I would pay more than 500 pounds in import taxes?! Then it would make more sense to buy new things, or even fly home and pick them up in person. Can anyone tell me if that calculation is correct at all, and if there’s any cheaper way of importing used personal items?! If I declare them as cheaper than they were when I bought them new, is it likely that they’ll be held up at customs? They’re all clearly used with stains and all so I’m hoping that won’t be an issue.
Posted Mon, 11 Sep 2023 17:10:07 GMT by
hello If you intend to bring o the UK for personal use , there should be no Tax If a courier company is bringing the item , declare them as personal goods If a freind is bringing them its Merchandise in Bag , and declareed through the Red channel as personal is items to be taken back after use . As a consignment with a shipping company , they can use oral declaration for pesonal use Finally valuation if required should be the second hand value as it currently will sell for in your opinion.which if challenged would need proof such as an identical or similar item being sold eg: ebay second hand identical or very simila specification. Many options, hope this helps . Sunil Makim Linked In
Posted Wed, 20 Sep 2023 07:56:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

You can see guidance here:

Simplified rates for bringing personal goods into the UK

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.