Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 25 May 2024 09:46:51 GMT by Gillian Flynn
We have an antique chess set which has been in the family since at least the 1930's. When my aunt went to live in Kenya about 40 years ago she took it with her. She has recently died and my uncle wants to bring it back to the UK to pass on to another family member. What procedures and forms need to be completed?
Posted Tue, 28 May 2024 10:50:39 GMT by Gillian Flynn
I should have mentioned - the chess set is ivory. Also my uncle intends to bring the set personally not post it.
Posted Tue, 28 May 2024 18:28:41 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi The guidance on importing inherited goods is here This gives details of how to clear customs with goods in your baggage. You should also check on the rules for importing ivory as there may be a requirement for a CITES license. There are links in the guidance mentioned above.
Posted Wed, 29 May 2024 07:30:29 GMT by Gillian Flynn
Technically the goods are not inherited good as the chess set (and the entire estate) has been inherited by my uncle, but he wants to gift it on to another family member. I can't find any particular forms that need to be completed (CITES or otherwise) but I wanted to check.
Posted Wed, 29 May 2024 13:02:43 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Cites is the international convention on trading endangered species so it isn’t just a form to fill in. This is something that you will need to research as it is not something that can be advised on in a forum. There are however serious consequences for importing goods without the license if required. If the imported goods for inheritance does not apply You need to look at : Again there is a link to restricted and banned goods which include animal products. You may need to speak to the licensing authority - all the details are there. Sorry as I don’t work for HMRC I can’t post working links.
Posted Tue, 04 Jun 2024 09:07:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
You might need to pay tax and customs duty when you move your personal belongings to the UK from abroad.
More information available on below link:
Bringing goods into the UK for personal use
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.