Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2024 10:07:37 GMT by Malcolm McCallum
I lost my wallet on a flight to France which contained credit cards, driving licence, medical cards & some cash (Scottish notes). The airline found the wallet (which is about the size of the credit card) and arranged to send it back for a shipping fee. When it arrived in UK I got notification that customs were requiring £80 import charges for the items that were sourced in the UK despite the paperwork stating that it was returned lost items. Is this correct or was the courier paperwork at fault?
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2024 11:16:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Malcolm,
Anything posted or couriered to you from another country goes through customs to check it is not banned or restricted and you pay the right tax and ‘duty’ on it.
The parcel or courier company (for example, Royal Mail or Parcelforce) is responsible for taking goods through UK customs.
You do not pay customs charges if imported goods are under the personal allowance, please see below link for more information.
Tax and customs for goods sent from abroad
If imported goods are personal belongings returning back to UK, you can send a request for a repayment. 
How to claim a repayment of import duty and VAT if you've overpaid
Report incorrect Customs Duty or VAT on items imported by post (BOR286)
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2024 11:17:37 GMT by Malcolm McCallum
So let me get this correct in my mind. If an item is being returned clearly marked as being "lost property" and that item was purchased in the UK. You still pay tax/duty on it? Seems like a lot of unnecessary administration, or is this a tactic to deter people from marking things as "lost property/item" to bypass the system.
Posted Tue, 03 Sep 2024 12:40:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

The sender would need to explain to the courier that they want to claim returned goods relief.
Ask the sender to write ‘Returned goods — relief claimed’ clearly on the package and its accompanying import declaration. The declaration must include a complete and accurate description of the goods, their quantity and value. If you are registered for VAT, make sure your VAT number is quoted on the declaration, CN 22 or CN23.
You can see information about importing goods by post here:

How to claim

Thank you.

Posted Tue, 03 Sep 2024 15:15:06 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi Everything coming into the country is potentially subject to import duty and import VAT. It is up to the sender to provide accurate details of the goods their values and where applicable if there is a particular reason that the goods should be treated differently to any other import. It is then a requirement for the carrier, courier , post office etc to submit a customs entry. Duty and tax is based on this electronic declaration so if the courier/ post office don’t notice the remarks such as lost goods being returned amongst the many thousands of parcels and packages they are handing , customs will not know and charge the applicable duty /taxes. This is why there is the option to query the charges with the courier or post office or make a reclaim request if you think you have been overcharged or charged in error.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.