Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 23 Jul 2023 12:27:53 GMT by J Park
Hi everyone, I am starting a new importing business and I've been researching what I need to prepare but it's really confusing. I would like to import eco-friendly insulation paint from South Korea, which does not contain any VOC (toxic chemicals). Do I need any sort of import licence and/or OGIL? I have been reading everything but it's really hard to tell. Also am I correct to think I would need to get EORI number for my company? Would appreciate any help. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 24 Jul 2023 13:41:35 GMT by Customs oldtimer
I am basing my response assuming you are based in the UK . Yes all business importers need an EORI. If you are VAT registered then you should mention your VAT number when you apply . To find out if your goods need an import licence or OGIL the you must first get the correct HS code for your goods . You can find this in the UK tariff schedule . Further details of any restrictions or import requirements from S Korea will be contained in the notes to that HS code . I would recommend using a customs intermediary/ customs agent/ broker as a new importer . You will need to provide them with your EORI and clearance instructions including things like HS code to use , goods values and origin.
Posted Thu, 27 Jul 2023 13:46:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
We would recommend reading this guidance, it should help you acquire everything need to start trading:
Import goods into the UK: step by step

You must be signed in to post in this forum.