Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2024 18:43:01 GMT by madiaz
Hello, I'm planning on moving to the UK from Belgium soon. I have a motorcycle I will own for less than 6 months at the time of the move. My brother lives in Belgium, can he store the motorcycle and then I bring it over in a few months under the transfer of residence? Or it needs to be owned by me 6 months prior to my actual moving date? Thanks in advance for the help!
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:02:50 GMT by L M
Hello madiaz, It seems that you would need to have owned the motorcycle for at least 6 months prior to the date of its importation to be able to claim Transfer of Residence relief. Unless you got married, are a student or due to exceptional political circumstances: You can bring it earlier but would not be able to claim the duty and VAT relief.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 12:34:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

How long you need to have owned the goods and the exceptional circumstances for transfer of residence relief (TOR) is covered in the guidance here:

Transfer of residence to the UK

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.