Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2024 02:48:33 GMT by Soulsister
Hi, I am wondering if i am shipping goods normally exempt of VAT ( menstrual underwear) to the UK and the value is greater than 135 pounds, will the customer have to pay any duties? If no, how do I ensure this? If yes, how much? I am not currently registered for VAT as I have not met the threshold, will i need to register for customers to be VAT exempt? Thank you
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2024 16:00:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Soulsister,
Please see the guidance below regarding these goods:
Women’s sanitary products — period underwear
As regards any duty please contact our International Trade Team as below:
Imports and exports: general enquiries
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2024 16:03:09 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi The products you mention have a zero rate of VAT. This apply to the goods themselves. You do not mention whether you are an overseas seller or not. If you are based outside the UK then the VAT registration threshold does not apply. There is a nil threshold for non uk based businesses. You will find details of how to treat goods below £135 being imported into the uk and sold directly to consumers https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-and-overseas-goods-sold-directly-to-customers- in-the-uk If you are only selling zero rated products and you are overseas then you can apply for exemption from VAT registration. Information is in the guidance above. Duty may be applicable for shipments over £135 but this depends on how the goods are classified and where they originate. You will need to check the Uk tariff schedule for your goods.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.