Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2024 07:21:01 GMT by cks29
Hi all, I have a strange question. FedEx have processed a repayment amendment on my behalf without my consent and repeatedly telling them to cancel (they wish to charge me for this brokerage service, otherwise I would just allow it). They submitted a C285 and got a request for further evidence that the item is antique with a deadline of 22nd August. I already emailed them to remind them I did not request this and to cancel, I also emailed the HMRC email address that they were communicating with to tell them this was unauthorised representation and to ask them to cancel. Understandably I haven't heard back from HMRC yet, but frustratingly I haven't heard back from FedEx in over 6 weeks. My question is: should I provide evidence or not? My concern is that if I do, I ultimately accept this service from FedEx. But my main concern is that if I don't supply evidence, then are HMRC going to issue penalities? I can't find anything online about this. This is entered as a repayment, and no debt is currently owed, but I don't know if the C285 will simply time out after the 22nd August and not be processed, or if they will begin to issue penalties. Obviously all there communication is with FedEx, not me, and I have no faith that FedEx will effectively communicate with me, given they have ignored my many emails to say it wasn't requested and not to process, and later to cancel. Additionally, aside from taking legal action against FedEx, where can I report them to, if at all?
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2024 21:12:25 GMT by cks29
I should add that the current charges which are already settled were at the 20% rate, and the amendment that FedEx submitted was to change that to the 5% rate, so the claim is for a partial refund. The item is antique, but I was never wanting to change the tariff code, and was happy to go with whatever the sender had input it as. Anyway, the short question is: if you don't submit additonal information for a repayment deadline, will it automatically be rejected? If not, can someone please confirm where I can direct a report of FedEx representing me to HMRC without permission?
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2024 09:44:21 GMT by rabbitinheadlights confused
As it's a C285, it's HMRC potentially refunding you. If HMRC's request for information is ignored, HMRC will close the claim and keep the money they might have refunded. There's no penalties. HMRC have kept the money by default - in effect that is the penalty.
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2024 15:40:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi cks29,
We would advise contacting the Customs and International trade helpline here for more help:
Imports and exports: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2024 12:48:46 GMT by cks29
I just wanted to update this thread, in case anyone else wants to understand this in future (as I certainly couldn't find anything prior to posting this). I called the repayments department on their direct number, and spoke to a really helpful man. He clarified that if evidence to support a repayment claim on a C285 form is not provided by the deadline, then the claim is just rejected/discarded. HMRC have to be one of very few useful organisations left, where you can actually speak to a human and get a knowledgeable response. Thank you, HMRC!
Posted Tue, 03 Sep 2024 11:23:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi cks29,
Please contact Imports and exports helpline for help, you can find their contact details on below link:
Imports and exports: general enquiries
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.