Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2024 14:35:10 GMT by IgotQuestions
Hi, I have a question regarding products that are imported but then sold into the EU (or anywhere outside of the UK). So for example I import a container of product A, this product when imported into the UK has the VAT, Duty paid which is fine for reselling to customers in the UK. However, when selling into the EU, it appears that couriers are charging the receiving customer VAT and duties, so the product now has duties paid on it twice. Should I be able to reclaim the duty paid in the UK then? thus enabling me to also remove the duty for EU sales along with the VAT, or do all exports have double duties. Thanks for any help, as I want to be able to offer my products Europe wide but the double duties means I can't compete at all.
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 12:32:43 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi Now the UK has left the EU we have separate duty and VAT arrangements to the EU or any other country. This means that import duties/ taxes are due on entry to each territory. You / your customers are being charged the duties and taxes due on import into the EU not export from the UK. The courier s are not charging these duties but rather they are passing on import charges imposed by the import countries customs authorities for goods entering their country. There is no mechanism to reclaim UK import duty on goods reexported however there are import duty relief s that may be accessed. These are customs warehousing or inward processing. These need prior authorisation from HMRC and do come with administrative burden.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 13:32:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

We are to offer advice on tariff charges in the EU, but if goods are imported in to the UK temporarily, only to be shipped to a third country, you can look in to temporary admission relief. You can see guidance here: 

Import goods to the UK temporarily

Apply to import goods temporarily to the UK

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.