Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 05 Apr 2024 09:45:11 GMT by SimonS
Hello, I am trying to figure out the best way of doing the following. I have been in the UK since 2016. I am originally from an EU country. When I moved here I left some of my belongings in storage with a family member. I now finally have the space to get the rest of my things over. The question is how do I best do that? It's about two moving boxes of personal stuff with no commercial value, childhood gifts, family pictures, old books of mine that sort of thing. The forms included when trying to sent a parcel with the usual couriers all seem to expect the goods to be new and sold. Which is not the case here, I owned them before and they are being sent from myself to myself. What is the best process to get those things into the UK?
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:53:12 GMT by L M
Hi SimonS, The best way forward is probably adjusting the value of each commodity in the consignment to reflect their used condition when declaring them to Customs. You do not have to quote goods' original price when new. I don't think Customs are interested in their sentimental value, either, only the market rates.
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:11:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Anything posted or couriered to you from another country goes through customs to check it is not banned or restricted and you pay the right tax and duty on it unless there is any relief claimed. You can see guidance here:

Tax and customs for goods sent from abroad

A list of reliefs is available here:

Reference documents for The Customs (Reliefs from a Liability to Import Duty and Miscellaneous Amendments) (EU Exit) Regulations 2020

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.