Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 26 Jul 2023 09:45:05 GMT by sophships
Hello. I am not sure if anyone can help me. I sold an item to a buyer in the US. They would like to return it as they are not happy with the item. Can I claim back the import tax I would have paid when it arrives in the UK?
Posted Thu, 27 Jul 2023 09:41:15 GMT by Customs oldtimer
You need to claim retuned goods relief at the point of return. This relives the import duty and taxes provided you are able to prove that the goods were originally exported from the UK. I would recommend that you ask your customer to clearly mark the package as a return
Posted Thu, 27 Jul 2023 12:40:56 GMT by sophships
Thank you for your reply. So does the customer only have to mark the parcel as a return and then when it arrives back in the UK, I submit forms/claim returned goods relief?
Posted Fri, 28 Jul 2023 09:21:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi sophships,
I would advise contacting the Customs and International trade helpline on 0300 322 9434 if you have any other issues with your query.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 28 Jul 2023 12:51:19 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Not exactly sophships . There shouldn’t be anything to physically reclaim. I should have said declare rather than claim. The parcel carrier or post office should declare the goods as returned goods and no duty should be payable. It’s important that your customer makes the return clear on the package and if the are using a carrier such as FedEx dhl etc that the goods are returns . The carrier may contact you before release of the goods if they need the additional information.
Posted Fri, 28 Jul 2023 14:01:21 GMT by sophships
I see! Thank you for the clarification. It's been hard getting contact of anyone and upon researching, I kept seeing forms that should be filled it and other possible fees to pay.
Posted Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:43:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
We would advise reading the following guidance:
Returning goods to the UK
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.