Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 28 Dec 2023 14:10:47 GMT by
I run a FHL, for which I do self assessment each year and calculate profit on a cash basis, deducting for repairs and renewals as info etc. I want to instal solar panels and a battery. The cost of them will be greater than the profit of the FHL for the year. Am I allowed to offset the cost of the panels and battery against my profit? If that puts me into “loss” territory (which it would this year, as we have had a poor letting year), am I allowed to carry forward that loss and offset it against next year’s profit as well? If not, then I might as well wait until my financial year rolls over on April 5, and offset their cost against next’s years holiday let profit. It will just be tricky fitting the installation in between actual paying guests as we cannot do it whilst guests are in. Sorry if this is a basic question. I do my tax return myself every year and I’m not sure if I need to involve an accountant for this issue. Thank you
Posted Fri, 05 Jan 2024 10:59:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Seatownlover Darby,
Thank you for your question.
There is a special tax treatment relating to furnished holiday lets.
Capital allowances can be claimed against a furnished holiday let.
Losses can be carried forwards to be set against the same FHL business.
I have attached some guidance links which may help you.
What you can do with losses
PIM4140 - Furnished holiday lettings: special tax treatment of furnished holiday lettings
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.