Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 30 Oct 2023 09:15:22 GMT by smccart88
Hi, I started renting out my old flat last year and did a self assessment in Oct but due to the date I started renting it out there wasn't much to pay on the self assessment. However this year I have a bill of just under 1k due end Jan after doing my self assessment this year, as well as a tax code adjustment stating I'll have underpaid by £465.00. I made a profit of £3800 (£4800 rent deducted £1000)per year on the property and have a salary of around £34k - does this seem right to everyone? The property is paid off but I have the associated factors/landlord costs and it doesnt seem worth renting it out for so little return
Posted Tue, 31 Oct 2023 14:17:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi,

Based on the figure given, you would expect to pay 20% tax on the profit made. there may be other things
in your tax return that you have claimed/not claimed to increase the charge due.

If you have claimed the trading allowance of £1000 you then cannot claim any other expenses.

You would therefore need to check what method of expenses is more beneficial to you and amend your return if applicable.

You cannot claim both the trading allowance and actual expenses - it is one or other.

Further guidance is at :

Examples of how to work out Income Tax when you rent out a property   .

Thank you .
Posted Tue, 31 Oct 2023 14:46:11 GMT by smccart88
I had expected the 20% but the bill is obviously much higher than that, can you offer any reasons as to why? Also I dont understand why I have now incurred a tax code change if I am already paying tax on the property why would I be liable for even more? I claimed the £1000 trading allowance if that helps Look forward to hearing back, Thanks
Posted Wed, 01 Nov 2023 10:57:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response
Hi,

You would need to call in order for your record to be accessed as personal information should not be give on this forum.

The Telephone number is 0300 200 3300 .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.