Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 10:29:30 GMT by
If I am working on or carrying out administration for my rented property, how can I record a £ value as expenditure against the profit on my return?
Posted Fri, 17 Nov 2023 08:18:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi burger22a,
Thank you for your question.
You can record the amount under other expenses on the Self Assessment tax return. 
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 17 Nov 2023 09:14:48 GMT by
I know that material costs such as mileage can be entered. If i spend 50 hours of my time on the property in a tax year, what value per hour can I claim as it would not be a receipted item. Do I claim the same amount of hourly rate as my professional full time employment?
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2023 09:14:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
Business expenses 'incurred' would be allowable if wholly and exclusively used for the business.
'Incurred is an accounting term that means that all transactions, regardless of their nature, must be recorded when they occur.
It means that an accountant must recognize and record the transaction on the date when it occurred rather than on the date when the transaction was actually paid'.
This means that a cost in money terms to yourself would be allowable but not time spent.
This is because no cost was paid out.
Please see guidance:
PIM2010
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2023 10:38:29 GMT by
It appears to me to abundantly unfair that the time I spend on administering a "business" that ultimately sends money through Taxation into the HMRC system does not recognise this as part of the process. I then "work for free" in order to manage the property, carry out the self assessments and other necessary admin to send a % of the income into the system. There is a cost to me and my time, that is not appreciated by the system!
Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2023 12:36:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Andrew Edgar,
Thank you for your question.
It is your choice as to whether you use your own time to manage your property.
This is covered in PIM2068 Which states that a landlord can’t deduct anything for the time they spend themselves working in their own rental business.
PIM2210 - Deductions: main types of expense: salaries and wages of employees
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.