Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 14 Jan 2024 18:53:55 GMT by massi
Hi have an EEA Furnished. It is in the first year and it made a loss. However, Italy witheld 21% tax on the gross income. I therefore paid £2300 Euro of Tax in Italy. However the UK liability on the property because of the loss is 0. I have other UK tax liability greater than £2300. Can I claim £2300 tax relief as the EEA Furnished let would have not attracted any UK tax but I had to pay tax in Italy? Or I can only add the tax into the EEA Holiday let costs and de-fact reduce the loss by a smaller amount - but can't claim tax relief. ie. reduce my overall UK tax liability by £2300?
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 09:15:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi massi,
Thank you for your question. I would advise you that you will not be able to  claim any Foreign Tax Credit Relief (FTCR) as the actual UK tax due on your foreign rental income is NIL. You would therefore claim the FTCR as a deduction against the same foreign rental income. This will effectively give you a credit for the foreign tax paid and will also give you a larger loss to carry forward to the next tax year. Please refer to the helpsheet HS263 for further guidance : Relief for foreign Tax Paid 2022 (HS263)
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 09:30:41 GMT by massi
Thank you...that's what I was thinking...

You must be signed in to post in this forum.