Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 24 Jan 2024 13:18:23 GMT by
My sister and I will be receiving rental income from a property next month. I am a British citizen holding a green card, living in the USA for the last 25+ years. I have completed the requisite NRL1 Form and am informed that the letting agents will not take tax from my portion of the rent. I will do a self assessment as needed. Our letting agents have informed me that due to strict policy, their bank cannot transfer my portion of the rental payment to my bank in the USA. Our only option seems to be that my sister will receive the total rental income, and then send me my portion via another means such as Paypal or venmo. We don't see any other way to accomplish this. Obviously, I do not want to incur any tax burden or otherwise on my sister - basically she would be receiving my rental income portion and then sending it on, retaining her portion. I looked at opening a bank account in the UK for myself but that seems like another very difficult challenge as most banks want security of some large sum of money which I don't have and don't want to do. Does anyone have any input or guidance on how we should move forward doing this correctly? There has to be others out here that have the same dilemma? I will be eternally grateful for any help! Ruth
Posted Thu, 25 Jan 2024 16:41:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi britgirl1962 Loffi,
Please contact our NRL helpline on +443003229433.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.