Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 16 Feb 2024 01:31:23 GMT by
If my family member or friend (they are non UK resident) have received rental income in China, they want to give me and my family (we are UK tax residents) all or partial of that income to support our life in UK. 1. Do I need to declare this support? 2. ⁠Do I need to pay tax for this support? 3. ⁠Do I need to provide any supporting for this support? If need, what kind of documents I need to provide?
Posted Tue, 20 Feb 2024 10:35:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
You can receive cash gifts from friends without any tax consequences.  
If you invest the money & start receiving interest & dividend income for example then there could be tax consequences depending on how much interest & dividend income you earn.  
You would not need to declare these cash gifts to us.
Thank you.

Posted Tue, 20 Feb 2024 18:16:50 GMT by
Thanks for your response first. For question 3 above, do my family member or friend need to provide any supporting of the source of the rental income? Like, the tenants agreement or their ownership of the property? Since, they may not available to provide such kind of documents.
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 11:19:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Drexler Old,
Thank you for your further question. I can advise you that your familty member or friend would not be required to supply any details in respect of their rental income. 
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.