Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 06 Jan 2024 17:59:11 GMT by
Hello, I used to live in my property and it has a residential, interest only mortgage. I've since moved out and rented my property, with a consent to lease approved by my mortgage company. This is the 4th year I have rented my property out in this manner and have filed a SA to HMRC each year. I have not claimed tax relief as didn't think i was eligible. However, this year my mortgage company have leved an additional % charge on my mortgage dues to the nature of it being a residential mortgage. My questions are: 1.Can I claim tax relief on a residential mortgage and not a Buy to Let one? 2. Regardless of the answer to Q1, can I claim relief on the new % charge that has been applied? Many thanks in advance.
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 09:11:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 2 Response
Hi,

You can claim back residential finance costs for the last four years. You will need to write in explaining the amendments you wish to make and claim overpayment relief.

SACM12150 - Overpayment relief: Form of claims

Tax relief that can be claimed for residential property financial costs includes 'fees and any other incidental costs for getting or repaying mortgages and loans', so the charge as an incidental cost would be allowable. 

Work out your rental income when you let property 
PIM2120 - Deductions: main types of expense: legal and professional costs

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.