Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 26 Jun 2023 16:36:57 GMT by
Hi, I'm married but when we bought our main home it was all in my name because it was just easier at the time in regards to securing a mortgage. We still have a mortgage but we have been doing our Wills and the advice was that it might be better to have a Deed of trust in place to make us both equal beneficiaries of the house in case one of us passes away. Something to do with allowances. The main question I have is whether there is any tax implications in putting this in place as we possibly will be selling our house in the next 5 years and hopefully whilst we are still happily married and neither of us has passed away! I was just worried about creating a tax implication if this somehow was deemed a gift or other benefit to my wife? Can anyone advise officially on behalf of HMRC before I sign something that may have huge implications to our tax when selling the house? Many thanks, 
Posted Tue, 27 Jun 2023 14:56:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi,
Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question within this general Income from Property forum.

You are also referring to your main home and not a rental poperty.

I would suggest that you possibly contact a financial advisor for further advise as your question would possibly
have both Inheritance Tax and  Capital Gains tax implications. 

Thank you.  

You must be signed in to post in this forum.