Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 03 Sep 2024 10:25:49 GMT by iren
Hello! team, I have a question regarding property valuation fees . When I applied for a Buy to let mortgage, I had to pay a valuation fees to get a mortgage. I understand that this is a deductible expense. (Could you please confirm?) Could you please let me know where to put it in my tax return: Do I submit it as a general expense or as a part of finance cost? Thank you!
Posted Wed, 04 Sep 2024 15:20:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi iren,
Please see:
PIM2120 - Deductions: main types of expense: legal and professional costs
Which states 'the expenses incurred in connection with the first letting or subletting of a property for more than one year are capital expenditure and therefore not allowable.
The expenses include, for example, legal expenses (such as the cost of drawing up the lease), agent's and surveyor's fees and commission.
Expenses for a let of a year or less can be deducted.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 05 Sep 2024 10:44:13 GMT by iren
Thank you very much for your response. I would like to clarify: My first letting contract will be a one year buy-to-let contract. As this does not exceed one year (as mentioned in the document above), I believe that my valuation fees that the mortgage company charged me to offer a mortgage will become a deductible expense. Is this correct understanding? Thank you very much in advance for your help!
Posted Mon, 09 Sep 2024 10:19:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 18 Response
Hi,

Thank you for your question, please see our online information regarding financial costs and expenses on the link below:

Allowable expenses

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.