Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 06 May 2024 11:26:44 GMT by Libby Mirza
I own a rental property with my daughter, joint mortgage, all remaining rent comes to me. Should she pay tax? Legally can we change it so that she retains name on title but I receive full rent?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2024 09:36:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 2 Response
Hi,

As the property is jointly owned by you and your daughter, you can split the income on any basis that you chose, without any formal agreement being required.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 13 May 2024 19:39:44 GMT by Libby Mirza
Many thanks for coming back to me. I’m still a little unclear. If I get ALL the rental income, out of which the mortgage and expenses are paid and she receives nothing at all. Will she have to pay ANY tax? Thank you
Posted Wed, 15 May 2024 12:29:56 GMT by Yatka Ku
My case in similar, my mum rent out the property which own by my mum and me. She rent out the property which the contract in her name only and didn’t send me any money. Is it affect me and need to pay tax? Thank you
Posted Wed, 15 May 2024 15:23:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 2 Response
Hi,

Your daughter will not be charged tax on rental income if she does not receive any. We cannot comment on her tax liability because we do not know what other income she receives.  

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 20 May 2024 09:31:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 2 Response
Hi,

If  you don't receive any of the income from the letting, you do not need to declare anything.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 09 Jul 2024 17:57:07 GMT by Khalid
Hi, Many thanks for the clarification, does it matter if the property is tenants in common or joint tenants with my daughter - in both cases I will recieve all the rent?
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2024 06:03:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Khalid,
You would be taxed on your share of the rental income.
If you receive all the income as you have 100% share then you are liable for all the tax due.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.