Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:24:21 GMT by
Hi , I was renting a room which I subletted for approx 3 months with my landlords permission and under the condition that i will be responsible for the rent. So the subtenant paid the rent to my bank account and i kept paying the rent as ususal per contract. I didn't net or profit anything from this arrangement. Two questions. 1) Do i need to fill self assessment for this ? 2) Do i owe any tax in the above scenario ? Thanks in advance.
Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 12:35:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
You may need to complete a self assessment tax return to report this income. However if you were renting a room out in your home you may qualify for rent a room relief which is an allowance up to £7500.
We have attached some general guidance on self assessment and rent a room relief:
PIM4001
HS223
Thankyou.
Posted Mon, 29 Jan 2024 10:06:36 GMT by
Thanks for your reply. I am slighlty confused about "However if you were renting a room out in your home" , i was renting a room from someone and then subletted it with permission. To confirm, rent a room will still apply in this case ?
Posted Tue, 30 Jan 2024 09:38:23 GMT by
Just to update, I also added relevant information to this tool https://www.gov.uk/check-if-you-need-tax-return and it says i don't need to submit self assessment.
Posted Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:11:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
In this scenario, as there is a contract in place with the landlord for you to sub-let the room out, rent-a-room may still apply if you meet the criteria found in the following guidance:
Rent a room in your home.
In terms of if any tax may be due on such income, this would depend on the level of income and if it breached the £7,500 exemption, or collectively above the personal allowance.
Thankyou.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.