Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 12 Oct 2023 00:44:40 GMT by Chasiu
Hi, I am a UK tax resident. For the 2022/23 tax year, it is my first time to submit a self assessment and the first year I am receiving a rental income from a property in Hong Kong. My questions: 1) Do I just need to put down the total finance costs (ie. interest paid for the mortgage for the property to let) for the 2022/23 period in Box 24.1 'Residential property finance costs' on the SA106 paper form? The 20% expense allowance will be deducted from my taxable income afterwards? 2) As the property has been rented out less than a year and I do not receive any property tax demand to be paid in Hong Kong yet. In this case, should I just put down '0' in Column C 'Foreign tax taken off or paid' of Page F4 of SA106 paper form? Your help is very much appreciated. Chasiu
Posted Tue, 17 Oct 2023 10:50:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi,

Thank you for your question.

As you are in receipt of property income from overseas, alongside the SA100 Tax Return you would complete the SA106 Foreign supplementary page stating your rental income and any allowable expenses incurred.

When completing the SA106 page, you are correct to submit the total finance figures with the calculation taking into account the basic rate of relief.

In terms of tax deducted in Hong Kong, you would state that no tax has been deducted by placing £0 in the tax taken box.

Thank you .
Posted Sun, 14 Jan 2024 12:27:35 GMT by
I also have a property abroad and have included the mortgage interest costs in my tax return. I have also included the monthly bank charge that the bank takes every month for making the mortgage payment. It is a directly associated cost to running the property. Is that correct? I paid taxes abroad for the foreign Year Ended 31 Dec 2022, in June 2023. I understand that I should allocate 3/4 of the Dec 2022 tax bill and then estimate 1/4 for 1/1/2023 to 5/4/2023. This is based off what I paid. Is that correct? And once I know the foreign tax paid for Year Ended Dec 2023 tax should I correct the estimated part in my UK Tax Return April 2023?
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 08:29:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
You would be entitled to claim the monthly bank charges as an allowable expense as long as the charges are wholly and exclusively for the purposes of renting out the property.
In respect of the foreign tax paid on your foreign rental property you are correct in saying that you would need to apportion the foreign tax paid to coincide with the UK tax year.
If you do not know how much foreign tax relates to the period from 1 January 2023 to 5 April 2023 then you would estimate the 2022-23 foreign tax and amend the return as soon as possible as you have stated.   
Thankyou.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.