Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2024 08:49:19 GMT by Vihango Shah
Dear sir, I have a property owned between me and my husband. We duly signed the declaration of trust for the split income in 2019 and sent to HMRC with signed form17 for unequal shares. We then received and approval for the acceptance from HMRC saying that the declaration is now in force. since then we were declaring the actual shares on our share returns. last year, during a theft in our house, we lost all our documents. we lost the original signed declaration of trust but we have form17 acceptance letter with us. Do we need to sign another form17 with the new declaration trust and send to HMRC? or we should not worry about it? our actual shares has not been changed. Please help. Thank you, Viha.
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2024 13:16:19 GMT by Vihango Shah
Hi, If we re-sign the declaration of trust to replace the original one, do we need to send it to HMRC again ? Our income and interest on the property has not been changed. Thanks,
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 06:18:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Vihango Shah,
There is no need to re-submit a form 17 and declaration of trust.
If HMRC have replied to you accepting the unequal share, there will be a record of this linked to both of your tax records.
The change that the declaration and the form 17 requested, will remain in force until, your interests in the property or income change, or you stop living together as a married couple.
You can contact HMRC if you choose and ask for a copy of the confirmation letter.
You can do this by contacting our Self Assesment helpline.
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.