Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 07 Aug 2023 08:53:49 GMT by George
When submitting a form17 to Declare beneficial interests in joint property and income, what supplementary documents are needed appart from a Trust document? My form has been rejected by HMRC , 9 months after we sent it, the letter said : "because there was no evidence that we are married". Is evidence of being married really required? If so what type of document is needed i.e. marriage certificate?
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 10:55:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
Thank you for your question.
When submitting the Form 17 to declare beneifical interests in a property, supporting documentation such as Marriage Certificate/ Civil Partnership would suffice, to which TSEM9851 outlines this:
Property held jointly by married couples or civil partners: Form 17 rule - evidence
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 13:21:54 GMT by George
Can the Marriage Certificate be a black/ white copy or would that not be accepted? Because I only have 1 original Marriage Certificate so I cannot give it away. It will also prevent me from submitting any further Forms 17 for other properties. Also the TSEM9851 does not explicitly mention the need to provide evidence of marriage. It only says "The couple should submit evidence of beneficial ownership". I suggest that the online guidelines be updated to include a clear reference to any additional mandatory supporting documentation such as evidence of marriage, specifying the nature of such evidence.
Posted Thu, 10 Aug 2023 10:55:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
Thank you for your question.
I would suggest that a copy of your Marriage Certificate would be sufficient for this purpose.
I would also advise you to contact HMRC in writing to obtain full clarification of why your original forms were rejected.  

You must be signed in to post in this forum.