Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 18 Feb 2024 20:21:48 GMT by
Hi Aunt Marg owns 75% of a small piece of land which is rented to a local farmer, Aunt Joan owns the remaining 25%. They own it as Tenants in Common. They get a small income from it. Is Joan able to declare the whole of the income for tax purposes and if so, is there a specific form that either or both need to complete Thank you
Posted Tue, 20 Feb 2024 11:52:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
This may depend initially on the amount of income from property received and whether it requires a tax return.
It may also be that the expenses incurred are greater than the income received.
We would suggest you submit individual letters with a simple breakdown of income and expenses in each relevant tax year arising and we can advise you in turn. 
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 20 Feb 2024 18:57:47 GMT by
Thank you HMRC I think we will have to do that, but in the meantime could you make the following clear please. Regarding transfer of beneficial interest I have read that a Form 17 is required but this appears to apply to married/civil partners so I can't see that this would apply. What do HMRC require for individuals who do not fall into this category. Is there another form, or can one of them simply put all of the income through as their income instead of each of them declaring their own share of the income ? It would be helpful to understand. Thank you
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 11:22:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi margandjo,
Thank you for your further question. You are correct in stating that a Form 17 election is only required if the rental property is jointly owned by  married couples or civil partners.You would also not be required to submit any evidence to support the actual split of the property income that you decide. 
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.