Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2024 09:32:33 GMT by Wing Sze Tse
My husband transferred the rental property to me as a gift. The tenant has signed the new contract . Any procedures that I need to do for informing HMRC about the income tax?
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2024 08:09:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Wing Sze Tse,
If your your rental income for the tax year exceeds £10,000.00 (i.e., before allowable expenses), or your rental profit for the tax year exceeds £2,500.00 (i.e., after allowable expenses) then you are required to register for Self Assessment and send a Self Assessment tax return to report your income and pay any tax that may be due.  You should register before the 5th October following the end of the tax year.
To register, please visit: Check how to register for Self Assessment
If your income / profit falls below the limits mentioned above, you can report your rental income to HMRC in writing without completing a Self Assessment return.
The address to write to is:
Pay as You Earn and Self Assessment,
HM Revenue and Customs,
BX9 1AS.
If you write to us, please provide details of your total rental income, and a list of any allowable expenses you have claimed when calculating your profit. 
For help calculating your taxable profit, please visit www.gov.uk and search for ‘Work out your rental income when you let property’. 
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.