Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2024 11:04:42 GMT by Saul
Hi, I have three questions: 1. If I paid rental income tax in Turkey for a property I own for several years (since 2016), did I have to declare this rent income in UK even though I didn't have to complete self assessment form? 2. As far as I know there is a UK-Turkey agreement to prevent double taxing. In this situation am I still facing a risk of paying penalty for undeclared tax income in case I forgot to declare these for a couple of years, or if I retrospectively declare them now, it should be ok? 3, Tax years run from January to December in Turkey, how will i convert it to April to April (and which exchange rate I should use when I do this retrospectively Thanks
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2024 07:56:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi ,

Thank you for your question .

I presume you ar resident in the UK for tax purposes and as such you need to delare your worldwide income to HMRC so you will need to complete tax returns for all years you have owned the turkish property under Article 6 of the Uk/Turkey DTA you will be able to claim Foreign tax credit for any tax paid in turkey you should use the exchange rate relevant to each year these are listed on our website  .

Thank you .

Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2024 13:11:21 GMT by Saul
But what happens if my father collects those rental income and use it, meaning the money is and will never me. remitted to UK. and I don't use the money at all? Here the amount I am talking about is varies between 2k to 5k per year.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2024 09:48:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Saul,
As previously advised, the UK taxes you on your worldwide income, so you will be required to declare any property income you receive and claim a credit for the foreign tax you are paying, so you are not taxed twice on the same income.
Please see:
PIM4702 - Rent from property outside the UK: Income Tax (IT)
For more information.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.