Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2024 08:25:54 GMT by vipulkhanna
Hi All, Just filling up Tax returns for Rental income for our old house for the first time. I have signed up for Self assemnent myselft for Tax return but unsure if we as a joint owners will need to fill individual Tax Returns? Came across question below so not sure? Do you have any income from property let jointly? (optional) YesNo Help about: UK Property 02 - Income from property let jointly Watch a short YouTube video on Income from property let jointly. If you own and let property jointly, you only need to put your share of the income and expenses in the 'UK property' section. We tax your shares equally if you live with your spouse.
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2024 10:43:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi vipulkhanna,
Thank you for your question.
Where the joint owners are husband and wife or civil partners, profits and losses are treated as arising to them in equal shares, known as the 50/50 rule. So, you will both be required to complete a tax return. If both entitlement to the income and the property are in unequal shares, a form 17 election can be made to allow profits or losses to be split according to their actual share of ownership in the property.
For further information, please see:
Declare beneficial interests in joint property and income.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2024 11:00:58 GMT by vipulkhanna
Thanks a lot . So guess I can just split the rental income for e,g 1000 per month = 12000 as GBP 6000.00 for husband and wife each. Do we do the same for management fee/expenses etc..split in half as the invoices are only on MY NAME and not Mrs name ? Can i not just fill in the Tax returns for just myself as the money comes in our Joint account to make things easier? and Bills/invoices are all under my name?
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2024 06:08:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi vipulkhanna,
All income and expenditure is split 50/50 as you are both beneficial owners of the property.
Both husand and wife are required to file Self Assessment tax returns, declareing the income and expenditure information accordingly. 
Thank you. 

Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2024 06:36:58 GMT by Brunokid Brown
What about if, although the property is owned 50/50, the husband did all the work/ running of the property? Could it be an uneven split? Say 70/30?
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2024 15:13:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
Please see reply to your previous question- Thank you for your question, please refer to guidance - Introduction: jointly owned property & partnerships -Jointly owned property: no partnership, which states ‘However, where the joint owners are husband and wife, or civil partners, profits and losses are treated as arising to them in equal shares unless:
both entitlement to the income and the property are in unequal shares, and
both spouses, or civil partners, must inform HMRC that their share of profits and losses is to match the share each holds in the property.’
You can inform HMRC of unequal shares by completing a Form 17 available at Declare beneficial interests in joint property and income

You must be signed in to post in this forum.