Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 03 Jul 2023 18:10:15 GMT by
Hello Due to poor market conditions, I had to rent out my flat and move into my parents. I gained permission from my mortgage lender as this was a repayment not a buy to let mortgage. I am trying to understand why I owe tax given the below example, and understand the rules around interest now not an allowable expense, but as you will see my example below how can this be fair ? I am not a business, and due to inflation and the inability to move to a buy to let, I was forced into a variable rate with the below example of my 2022 P&L. Is there any support anyone can offer as currently I am unable to pay the amounts I apparently owe? Profit £9,306 Allowable expenses (loss): £2,976 Mortgage interest: £9,262 Total loss: £12,238 Variable: - £2,932 (minus) I cannot fathom how my interest even at 20% relief can be acceptable compared to the significant loss I have already experienced. I am looking at another £1k of tax, and in total a loss of £4,000. Apologies for the rant, but just a person struggling financially and mentally. Thanks

Name removed Admin 
Posted Mon, 10 Jul 2023 13:37:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
Thank you for your additional question.
My colleagues response still stands in terms of what how tax relief can be given.
You have let out your flat which is deemed an income from property so I would expect income as rent less allowable expenses.
If this has resulted in a loss on income from property (IFP) then you may be able to submit this information on your tax return and the recorded loss will be utilised againt future tax years IFP profits.
I would also suggest you contacted HMRC with your details in writing if you need your losses checking over. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.