Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 10 Feb 2024 21:40:27 GMT by
I am planning to return to the UK after living abroad for nearly 20 years, I am selling multiply properties before I return and bring the proceeds with me back to the UK to purchase a property. I do not own one in the UK now and I am not a tax resident at the present time. I will of course once I have returned and bought a house and live here I will become one by the time spent back in the UK. My question is will I be liable for any UK taxes on the properties proceeds I bring? One is my primary residence so I know I will be fine with that one but, the other is my second home. I know I will pay taxes in the country I am living but, will I be liable in the UK as I would not be a tax resident until after the sale of the properties but, I may be a tax resident depending on timing of my arriving and settling back in the UK in the same tax year as the sale of the foreign properties. I assume because they will be gone and sold I am fine but, just want to be sure.
Posted Wed, 14 Feb 2024 12:44:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
Please refer to:
Tax when you sell property
and Tax on foreign income.
You may also wish to refer to the Statutory Residency Test and how it may apply to your circumstances 
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.