Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 08 Sep 2023 22:58:40 GMT by john Hinde
My employer contracted me out (without my knowledge) for the yrs 1988-2016 as a result despite having an NI record of 48 "full" years I'm told I'm 2yrs & 7weeks short of a full pension, I've paid over 88k in NI contributions yet I'll get a reduced pension. My wife, 45 full years only 77k in NI contributions contracted out 88-2010 yet gets full pension !? Apart from the untrasparent Nature on The on-line NI records, where can I get a break down of how much each "contracted out year" is worth in terms of a state pension payment. Transparency, process & help seem to be 3 missing words from the HMRC manual, much like the rest of the .gov pages!
Posted Wed, 20 Sep 2023 06:52:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi john Hinde,
The Government introduced the ‘New State Pension’. Details of this were widely publicised at the time through articles and advertisements in the press and on TV and Radio.
As a result of this, the number of years needed to qualify for a full state pension now varies from person to person depending on their work history.
HMRC does not calculate pension entitlement, this is done by DWP, however as you have stated that you were part of a contracted out pension scheme for longer than your wife, I imagine this is why she has qualified for a full state pension despite having less ‘qualifying years’ than you.
Obviously without your details, we are unable to give specific responses to your enquiry, but you can call our Contracted out Pensions Helpline on 0300 200 3500.
The line is open Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.