Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2024 11:15:13 GMT by Neil Schofield
I know that for a time I was contracted out, and what to know what my Contracted Out Pension Equivalent (COPE) is. Previously, this information was provided in my online personal tax account when I checked my State Pension Summary. Today I've logged in and it's no longer displayed. Anybody know if this capability has been temporarily removed or if it's a permanent change? Seems like a massive step backwards if so (assuming the figures provided previously were accurate).
Posted Mon, 01 Jul 2024 23:18:40 GMT by Puddleduck
COPE is an amount used once, and only in the calculation of your starting amount of state pension as at 6 April 2016 because you, like so many others, are under 'transitional' arrangements. It's of no real help or value to you, since the amount in question isn't guaranteed to be paid by the scheme(s) of which you were a member. If you have missing years or believe you may need to top up through voluntary contributions, then please see https://www.gov.uk/contact-pension-service [link removed]
Posted Fri, 05 Jul 2024 14:16:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi Neil,

You will need to contact DWP (Department for Work and Pensions) regarding the Contracted-Out Pension Equivalent (COPE) amount and enquire why it is no longer showing on your personal tax account if it has been removed. They will investigate this for you at the appropriate numbers below depending on your circumstances for state pension age. If you need confirmation of the contracted-out period HMRC hold, you can call us on the below number, we can then provide written proof of your contracted out period to assist you.
As you have access to a personal tax account you can also chat to an advisor through the web chat service.

Personal tax account: sign in or set up

Over 6 months from state pension age, please call the DWP pension forecast helpline:

Contact the Future Pension Centre

If you are 6 months towards state pension age, or over state pension age. Please call the DWP state pension helpline:

Contact the Pension Service

To enquire about your contracted out period call the HMRC National Insurance Contracted out helpline.

National Insurance: general enquiries

All lines are open - Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.