Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 05:34:19 GMT by Mark Wright
I am 13 years away from claiming my UK pension and have paid 36 years contributions, but, it says I need to pay 2 more years for my full UK state pension. I am ex military and living abroad on my small military pension which is slightly above the UK personal allowance rate; I don't have plans to work again. What do I need to do to qualify for my full pension at SPA?
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2024 07:35:35 GMT by Alan Jones
I am in the same position, over 40 years of NI contributions, but I need 3 more years to qualify for a full state pension. This is because I have been contracted out for most of my working career and so not not paid full national insurance. The easiest way to achieve a full pension is to pay class 3 voluntary contributions for the extra 2 years. You can either pay a lump sum to complete missing years (you can go back up to six years) or you can pay monthly by direct debit for the current year and seeing as you have quite a few years to go to state pension age, this may be the better option.
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2024 10:38:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

Before applying to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions whilst overseas, you may wish to obtain a State Pension Forecast which you may receive through this link:

Check your State Pension forecast

Once you are happy to pay voluntary contributions then you should read our leaflet NI38 ‘Social Security Abroad’ and then complete and return the CF83 application form which are available here:

Social Security abroad: NI38

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.