Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 15:45:36 GMT by
I am currently PAYE (employee) but considering setting up as a Sole Trader for the new financial year 6 Apr 24- 5 Apr 25. As I will reach pension age on 1 March 24 am I correct in understanding that I will not pay Class 2 NIC from this date, and when I transition from employee to Sole Trader beginning of April I will not need to pay any Class 4 NIC ? It is the statement of ' this liability (Class 4 NIC) continues until the end of the tax year in which you reach State Pension Age' which is confusing me. As I will have reached State Pension Age at the end of the tax year 5 Apr 2024, does that mean I go into the new tax year 6 Apr 2024 to 5 Apr 2025 without the need to pay Class 4 NIC? Or do I have to pay them until the end of the following tax year? Thank you for your kind assistance.
Posted Mon, 05 Feb 2024 08:22:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi John
Liability to pay Class 2 NICs ends at the end of the week in which you reach state pension age.  If you reach state pension age on 1 March 2024, your liability to pay Class 2 NICs would end on Saturday 2 March 2024.
As Class 4 NICs are assessed annually, liability to pay them ends at the end of the tax year during which you reach state pension age. Reaching state pension age on 1 March 2024 would mean the last year in which there is a liability to pay Class 4 NICs would be 2023-24.
National Insurance and tax after State Pension age
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.