Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 26 Sep 2023 18:59:50 GMT by
I don't know why there isn't a general forum. I'm posting in this forum because hoping I might be able to get NI number confirmed by post to confirm my address. I moved to the US with my family in 2010 and returned to the UK in April of this year now aged 18 but cannot open a bank account because I can't prove my address (I'm renting so all the utilities go through the landlord). I have, however, been working and paying taxes with my payslips posted to my address (doesn't count for bank purposes apparently) so hopeful that HMRC will send me a letter containing anything at all (tax info, NI number) as a letter from the government does count. I'm British and have a passport. Not sure why this is so difficult as I'm not asking them to lend me money or even offer an overdraft.
Posted Wed, 04 Oct 2023 08:09:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi KikiMc,
If you have access to a Personal Tax Account (PTA) you will be able to print a National Insurance Confirmation Letter off yourself.
If you do not currently have a PTA you may wish to consider setting one up via gov.uk.
Alternatively, you may wish to call our National Insurance Helpline (on 0300 200 3500) and they will be able to arrange for a National Insurance Confirmation Letter to be issued to you via post.
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2024 14:03:09 GMT by Yogesh Limbu
Hi, I need 10 years of address proof for NTL application. Can HMRC provide me any kind of letter which can fulfill this request? Please help
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2024 08:04:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Yogesh Limbu,
You may wish to call our National Insurance Helpline on 0300 200 3500 (or write to us) and ask for a Subject Access Request (SAR) which will show the personal information that we hold about you.
This might be helpful to you.
If you write to us, our address is:-
HM Revenue & Customs
PT Operations North East England
BX9 1AN
United Kingdom
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.