Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 20 Aug 2023 22:54:32 GMT by
I'm wanting to check my NI contributions, but I don't have a current driving license or passport. I've actually written in, but I haven't had a reply as of yet, it's been a while. I can confirm my bank questions etc, I just don't have the other photo ID. Can I find out how many I've paid without ID? or is their some other ID I can use? I'm wanting to know because I might be able to top them up as I'll be 66 soon.
Posted Wed, 30 Aug 2023 05:53:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi jswme,
We are aware that not all customers are able to provide the necessary ID confirmation to enable them to open a personal tax account. 
The procedure to set one up is here:
 Personal tax account: sign in or set up
If you are unable to set one up, then you will need to call us and we can give you details of which years you may be able to pay on a voluntary basis.
However, HMRC are unable to confirm if paying any deficient years will improve your pension entitlement.
I suggest you call the DWP first, their number is 0800 731 0175 and they are open 8.00am to 6.00pm Monday to Friday.
They will tell you your current pension position and which (if any years) can be paid to improve it.
They should then be able to transfer you to HMRC and we will give you payment instructions.
With regard to your letter, as I am not aware of the full contents, I can only speculate on which are will be dealing with it.
The area I suspect has your letter is currently working on letters received on 7 December 2022.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.