Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 07 Sep 2024 17:21:03 GMT by zdi98
Hello everyone, I’m looking for some advice regarding National Insurance contributions (NIC) for self-employed individuals after reaching pension age. I'm 67 years old, have settled status in the UK, and am currently receiving a pension from an EU country. I've never worked in the UK before but I'm planning to start a small business and register as self-employed here. I’ve read that since I’ve already reached the state pension age, I won’t need to pay any National Insurance contributions. However, I'm concerned about what this means for my eligibility for a UK state pension in the future. Does this mean that if I don't pay NIC for the next 10 years, I won't be eligible to receive any state pension in the UK? Any insights or guidance on how this works would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance for your help!
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2024 11:31:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi zdi98,
Thank you for your query.
Once somebody reaches State pension age they will no longer be charged National Insurance on any earnings you receive. Your State pension is only calculated from tax years you paid National Insurance up to reaching State pension age. As long as you have had at least 10 qualifying years of National Insurance before reaching State pension age, you will be eligible for a State pension. If not, then unfortunately you currently will not be eligible for the UK State pension.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.