Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 27 Sep 2023 01:39:12 GMT by
hi, i have just recently realised that i may be able to get my uk state pension while living in australia and i am trying to get to grips with the voluntary contributions. i have just 10 years of full contributions and my uk national insurance record is telling me for the years 2006 to 2018 i should pay 824.20 by 5 apr 2025. each year that i click on says exactly the same thing: 824.20 by 5 apr 2025. now here is the dumb question: is that a one off payment of 824.20 or 824.20 per year? if it is per year then maybe i won't bother because it sounds high. thanks, david.
Posted Thu, 28 Sep 2023 18:04:23 GMT by
Sorry to say, but it's 824.20 per year. It can still be very good value and so long as you live at least four years (depends on your tax position) after increasing your pension you should get your money back and be in profit. Like any pension, it's a bet but unless you've health issues or are very old the odds are likely to be in your favour.
Posted Wed, 04 Oct 2023 08:02:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi david thomas,
Information about paying voluntary National Insurance contributions whilst overseas may be found in our leafletNI38 ‘Social Security Abroad’ which you may find here:
Social Security abroad: NI38
If you wish to pay voluntary contributions after reading the leaflet then please complete and return the CF83 application form which you will find at the same web page as the NI38.
Before applying to pay voluntary contributions you may wish to check your current and future entitlement to a British State Pension.
More details are given here:
Application for a State Pension forecast
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.