Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2024 10:44:53 GMT by Brian Courtney
Hello. I'm a UK citizen recently returned to live permanently in UK. I reached state pension age in 2018. I have a new online account with HMRC. I was able to view my National Insurance record and it shows I have 8 years of NI contributions prior to moving to USA in 1979. According to my NI record I am eligible to pay for up to 12 missing years to qualify for State pension. Last year I contacted HMRC and was told that I could pay for the missing years and they would issue an 18 digit reference number. I put that temporarily on pause until I was sure how many years I could afford to pay. In the meantime I read online that I may be eligible to pay Class 2 contributions instead of the Class 3 amounts showing for each missing year on my record. I submitted a CF83 form and a cover letter as I was self employed in the US for 40 years. On my HMRC account it shows that the form was received 10/11/2023. No other information. I called again yesterday to HMRC helpline then referred to International pensions and also Future pension Center for information and update and was told that I had to request a letter confirming which years I could pay for and that letter would include amounts for each year, payment options and an 18 digit reference number, the person I spoke with submitted the request but said it would take 20 weeks to receive that letter. I'm ready to pay for the missing years but I'm concerned I've not navigated this process correctly/very well or that the information I've been given is accurate. Would appreciate any advise about how best to proceed. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2024 07:15:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Brian,
As you are over UK State Pension Age, I can confirm that the International Pension Centre would be able to check your National Insurance account and let you know the amount of voluntary contributions that you may pay to improve your entitlement to a UK State Pension.  From the details that you have given, it would seem that you have spoken with International Pension Centre so they will be in touch with you.  Just to confirm their telephone number is 0191 218 7777.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.