Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2024 11:22:53 GMT by jpmurray
I live in Ireland now and was a UK employee for a short time 1986-1987 but was 'self employed' in construction for the following 3 years, 1987-1990. 20% was deducted at source from each employer to cover tax etc. and after each job ended I got an SC60 form which I used for tax returns at end of each year. I got tax rebates at the time through the use of an accountant. I'm not sure about how NI was treated back at that time for contractors. Another poster here kindly pointed out that "Back then class 2 NIC were not collected via SA (they've only been part of SA since 2015) and had to be paid separately, directly to national insurance office" I have no idea if any NI payments were made by me or those of us who worked as self employed in this way and I'm asking is there any pension entitlement or how to go about finding out?
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2024 10:20:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi jpmurray,
If you were self-employed you should have registered as self-employed for National Insurance contributions and, therefore, pay class 2 National Insurance contributions for UK State Pension purposes.  You may wish to call our National Insurance Helpline on 0300 200 3500 (from the UK)
or +44 191 203 7010 (from overseas) to check whether you were registered as self-employed and if you paid the class 2 contributions.
You may wish to obtain a UK State Pension Forecast via Check your State Pension forecast which will detail your current and future entitlement to the UK State Pension.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.