Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 10 Sep 2023 15:22:44 GMT by RB1803
I have made four years of NI contributions and according to GovUK, I can make voluntary contributions. My question is, how do I apply to make Class 2, rather than Class 3 contributions? According to GovUK, I can make contributions for the years 2007-2021. I have lived out of the UK since 1996 and was either a student or self-employed (author, landlord, and manager of personal wealth). Am I eligible to make Class 2 rather than Class 3 contributions? If yes, how do I do this?
Posted Tue, 12 Sep 2023 10:49:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
Information about paying voluntary National Insurance contributions whilst overseas may be found in our leaflet NI38 ‘Social Security Abroad’ which you may find via Social Security abroad: NI38.
If you wish to pay voluntary contributions after reading the leaflet then please complete and return the CF83 application form which you will find at the same web page as the NI38.
Before applying to pay voluntary contributions you may wish to check your current and future entitlement to a British State Pension.  
More details are given at Application for a State Pension forecast.

Posted Tue, 12 Sep 2023 12:09:55 GMT by RB1803
Thank you. My question is around making Class 2 contributions, not Class 3. How do I ascertain my eligibility for this?
Posted Fri, 15 Sep 2023 12:45:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

If you are self-employed in the UK then you should register as being self-employed and this will mean that you will pay the class 2 National Insurance contributions. You can register as self-employed either online via link below, by post by completing our form CWF1 or by calling our National Insurance Helpline.

Register for Self Assessment

National Insurance: general enquiries

If you are overseas, please complete and return our CF83 application form which is at the back of leaflet NI38 ‘Social Security Abroad’.  You can find the NI38 and CF83 via link below. 

Social Security abroad: NI38

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.