Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2024 14:43:37 GMT by alan b bedbrook
Being a landlord is my main occupation and have no other income , Income for the last 2 years is £12000 annual gross.and before that 3 years at £10800 gross annual for this 5 year period my national insurance contribution need topping up according to the forcast , I need to know which class to pay to be intitled to full pension I was advised class 2 because of being classed as tier 3 and not registered self-employed although i do self assesment every year. government forcast says I need to pay class 3 and another adviser thought i should register self-employed . Could you please advise which is correct and how to proceed in paying .thankyou
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2024 11:33:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Alan b,
As a Landlord, you do not meet the criteria to pay Voluntary Class 2 National Insurance contributions.
Please contact the Future Pension Centre on 0800 731 0175 and they will advise you on the number of years you need to pay for a full State Pension, once you have this information you can contact HMRC National Insurance Helpline on 0300 200 3500 who will provide you with an 18-digit reference number and the bank details to pay Voluntary Class 3 National Insurance contributions.
If you still think you should be paying Class 2 National Insurance contributions as Self-employed, please call the National Insurance Helpline on 0300 200 3500 and they can take further information which will be used to make an informed decision on your status.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.