Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2024 05:47:43 GMT by Dolene Rossi
Hi, I live in Australia and had been paying annual Class II contributions. In 2018 I completed a direct debit form which was accepted by HMRC and I received a letter in August 2018 confirming that 75 pounds would be debited every 6 months. In October 2018, I received a letter stating my NI record has been reviewed and it shows you satisfy the requirements to at least the State Pension in Full and you need make no further contributions. No contributions were deducted via the direct debit. I have checked HMRC annually online and each year it has said that I was entitled to the Full state Pension in 2026. In May I went online to check and it said my record was being reviewed as part of normal process come back in June. In July I go back on line to find Estimate based on your National Insurance record up to 5 April 2023 £194.29 a week Forecast if you contribute until 5 April 2026 £213.25 a week So now I am NOT entitled to a full pension but can increase my pension if I contribute Class III contributions of 800 pounds per year but only for the last 4 years. This seems really unfair. What can I do? I have written to HMRC but cannot expect a reply until February 2025 and am worried more contributing years will be deducted as time goes on. Thanks
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2024 08:38:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Dolene,
May we suggest that you apply for a State Pension Forecast here:
Check your State Pension forecast
The Forecast will detail your current and future entitlement to a UK State Pension and will detail any voluntary National Insurance contributions that you may pay that might help improve your entitlement.
Your Personal Tax Account will only show any shortfalls of voluntary contributions at the class 3 rate.
If you decide to pay voluntary contributions after receiving the Forecast and wish to do so at the Class 2 rate then please contact HM Revenue & Customs and provide us with details of how you have been occupied.
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2024 08:50:04 GMT by Dolene Rossi
Hi. Thanks for the reply. As you can see from my post, I have already checked my forecast - that's how I was able to include the forecasted amounts I will receive. Can you advise me of whom I should contact, and which department, at HM Revenue and Customs to provide the details of how I have been occupied. Many thanks.
Posted Tue, 03 Sep 2024 07:25:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Dolene,
Please write to:
International Caseworker 
Benefits and Credits
HMRC
BX9 1AN
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.