Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 21 Jan 2024 22:23:46 GMT by
Hi, I ended my first job in Dec 21 and HMRC said that I have overpaid income tax for this job in 2021 and refunded the overpaid income tax to me in Jul 22. When filing my tax return, there is a section of 'Tax refunded or set off' and ask me to input the amount if I received any income tax refund. I want to ask: 1. I have to input the income tax refund amount for tax year 21-22 or 22-23? As the refund was for the job in 2021 but I received the refund in 2022. 2. As I have just submitted my tax return for 22-23 recently, if the income tax return needs to be input in 21-22 tax return, do I have to amend my tax return for 21-22? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 26 Jan 2024 07:02:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi CcAa,
If it was a refund for tax overpaid for 21/22 as a whole, and it was repaid to you after your overall 21/22 tax was calculated via PAYE, then this amount would need to be entered in your 21/22 tax return as having already been repaid.
Otherwise you may temporarily receive the same repayment twice.
We can review this for you, contact us by webchat or phone here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.