Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 09 Jun 2024 11:25:50 GMT by RetailManagement
Hello, As a recruiting manager I often interview candidates with student or graduate visas. I understand the restrictions on working hours within and without term times. However, several university websites also state that you must also not be employed on a permanent contract while in the UK on these types of Visa. Temporary contracts are only to be given for situations such as employing festive temporary colleagues for the Christmas period. Does this effectively mean that as a retail employer I am barred from employing candidates on student visas, even though they would only work for us for as long as their visa is valid and within the hour restrictions? Or are we expected to keep the colleague on a temporary contract for the duration of their course/2 years after it even though this is in direct violation of the rules of temporary contracts? This does not seem appropriate or workable. But how else will someone with a student/graduate visa do any work if they are not to be employed on contracts by companies such as mine? Any information and advice appreciated, Thank you
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2024 09:49:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi,

You will need to contact the Home Office for advice on employing staff from abroad and visa restrictions .

Thank you .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.