Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2024 10:23:03 GMT by J N
Hi there Had a quesr. For income tax year 23-24tion re: salary threshold needing to register for PAYE for myself as a sole director of a LTD company. I incorporated my business in May 2023 (previously sole trader) and am sole directo, my accountant advised me to pay myself a director salary of £9,096 (rather than £12,570) and rest in dividends so that I wouldn't need to operate a formal payroll and that I wouldn't need to register for PAYE. He also advised I could do this via director loan vs. paying myself in cash, which I did for cashflow reasons (so I did not draw the £9,096 out, but just recorded it against my director loan account). However, I started filling out my self assessment for 23-24 which implied I needed to give a PAYE reference - when doing some research online I found info suggesting that any salary above the NI LEL (£6,396) requires PAYE registration. When I queried it with my accountant he said I am compliant, and can just put 000/N as the PAYE reference. Is this correct? And if so, would my 23-24 contribution towards state pension be recorded via self assessment? Thanks
Posted Thu, 03 Oct 2024 10:15:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 33
Hi,
Please call the Employer Helpline on 0300 200 3200 to discuss further,
Thanks.

Posted Fri, 04 Oct 2024 10:47:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi JN,
As you are paying above the NIC LEL, you will need  for a register a PAYE scheme and run payroll.
This can be done online as folows:-
Register as an employer
Further guidance can be found here:
Running a limited company: your responsibilities
Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.