Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2024 02:52:00 GMT by Sebastian GONZALEZ
I just received my pay check for this month and it is said I have a BR tax code on it, though when I go onto my HMRC account, it indicates I should get a 347T code for this job, which we'll call job A. On top of this, HMRC hasn't recognised that I quit a secondary job, which we'll call job B, and I think that is messing with the tax codes as it gives me a 909L tax code for that job (which I have received a P45 for) and a 347T tax code for the job A. I would like to know how to fix this as it is pretty urgent given that I lose 20% of my pay every month. Also, another weird thing happened for my last month of pay (at which point I received a payslip for both jobs individually). My job B got a tax code 1257L (yearly personal allowance of £12 570 tax free) whereas job A got a tax code BR (basic rate, so again 20% of my pay). This seems off as in no way have I even approached my yearly allowance yet I have already given up approx £160 of my pay over two months to taxes. I did some research on the forums a while ago and found that tax codes work differently when you have two jobs: primary job gets the 1257L tax code and secondary (it is automatically selected as the one where you make the least amount of money) gets the BR tax code. However, last month, I made significantly more money on job A (BR tax code) than job B (1257L tax code) and the HMRC app has clearly shown that there is a way to have two different tax codes for two jobs (909L and 347T) so that I don't pay taxes under my yearly tax free income allowance. Any help or advice so as to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 13:25:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 18 Response
Hi,

You would need to contact HMRC to discuss allocating your allowances between jobs. See link below:

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.