Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 13:46:08 GMT by
My Mother has moved into a care home with advanced dementia and can no longer manage her financial affairs. How can I inform HMRC of this - hopefully using an activation code/online rather than having to get a certified copy of the LPA. Can I then set up an online account for her - I have no current photo ID for her and as she now has no house etc she has none of the other ID requirements? All her pension income is dealt with via PAYE, but she may have some interest that she has to pay tax on depending on what we do with the capital she has having sold her home to pay the care home fees. Please tell me that I don't have to do everything by letter/phone as I just dont have the time. Hopefully someone can help!
Posted Thu, 02 Nov 2023 08:56:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi RozRossington,
We cannot take the power of attorney details over the phone or on webchat.
You  would need to send the original or certified copy of the power of attorney / Court Order to:
Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment, HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1AS UK. #
We will return the power of attorney to you.
For help submitting the Self Assessment you will need to contact our Online Helpdesk:
Technical support with HMRC online services
Thank you. 
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2024 22:49:47 GMT by RICHARD SAYER
About a year ago myself & my brothers were granted Lasting Power of Attorney in regards our Mother over Health & Finance. This was done just in case our Mother became mentaly unable to deal with these issues. However our Mother is still in sound mind and able to make decisions. Our Mother has suggested that she wants to give myslef and my brothers some of the money she has inherated from our Father after he passed away. We are not keen on this idea but we need more information. Could someone please tell us if what our Mother is proposing and that us accepting large sums of money from her is against the rules of the Lasting Power of Attorney.
Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 08:10:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi RICHARD SAYER,
For assistance please see guidance here:
Lasting power of attorney: acting as an attorney
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.